Based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Tricky Towers takes the familiar mechanic of placing tetromino bricks and provides a twist with the addition of real world physics and a competitive multiplayer focus. The goal is to build a tower higher, faster and better than your opponents. This is made more difficult by gravity's constant pull, the seemingly gentle breeze and the devilish dark magic attacks from the other players. There are some light magic spells provided to help you out – but casting a light spell will cancel out your chance to cast a dark spell for a while so you need to choose carefully between supporting your own tower or messing with the towers of your opponents. There are three different multiplayer modes. Race is all about beating the other players to a soaring finish line; Survival involves placing a certain number of bricks before everyone else without dropping too many and losing your health; and Puzzle slows down the pace a little by challenging players to place as many bricks as possible below a cutoff point. The shortness of the matches and the pick-up-and-play nature of Tricky Towers make it perfect for parties. Next to local and online multiplayer Tricky Towers contains 50 single player trials where players can hone their skills and crack some tough puzzles, and an endless leaderboard mode to see how long players can survive against the elements.
History99 Bricks Wizard Academy
99 Bricks: Wizard Academy is the mobile sequel to the 2008 Flash hit 99 Bricks. Development for the Mobile version started in 2012 and we took our time to make sure it is a good fit for the modern audiences and mobile platforms with a release in 2014.99 Bricks Classic
99 Bricks Classic was released in 2008 on Kongregate and has been played more than 15 million times in every country in the world via hundreds of Flash game portals. The goal of the game was simple, build the highest tower possible using 99 Bricks.Spin-offs
In 2009 a spin off was released on Armor Games, 99 Bricks: Legend of Garry in which the player had to solve various puzzles and challenges. In 2010 an adaptation of the game called Technoid Trouble was developed for the online Flash MMO Club Galactik.
- Frantic physics action puzzle gameplay
- Local and online multiplayer with 2-4 players
- 3 different multiplayer modes; race, survival and puzzle
- Challenging single player trials
- Leaderboard mode; compare how you stack up
- 17 Powerful light and dark magic spells
- Full controller support
- Awesome music composed by Jonathan vd Wijngaarden
Tricky Towers Tournament trailer YouTube
Tricky Towers launch trailer YouTube
Tricky Towers Gameplay Race YouTube
Tricky Towers Gameplay Survival YouTube
Tricky Towers Gameplay Puzzle YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Nomination BIG Festival Best Gameplay award: Tricky Towers" BIG Festival 2016
- "Nomination Game Connection Europe in 4 categories: Tricky Towers" Game Connection Europe 2015
- "Tricky Towers thrives with local multiplayer 8/10"
- Toby Moses, Matt Kamen, The Guardian
- "Each game mode is genuinely enjoyable, and having modes that require different speeds of play and forms of strategy is an excellent way to keep players coming back for more"
- Brandon Langrock, GameSpew
- " Tricky Towers is the Dark Souls of Tetris games"
- Eric G, PSNSTORES
- "... its colourful charms and surprisingly tense matches will likely lead to Mario Kart levels of friendship-destruction."
- Matt Kamen, www.wired.co.uk
- "Hands-on Preview: Tricky Towers is an addictive party game"
- Nathan Lawrence, www.pcpowerplay.com.au
- "Sony Digital Showcase Round Up: Alienation, Edith Finch, Kick Off and Tricky Towers"
- Kris Lipscombe, www.thesixthaxis.com
- "TRICKY TOWERS FONDE TETRIS CON JENGA E PROMETTE BENISSIMO"
- Mattia Ravanelli, it.ign.com
- "Tricky Towers : quand la convivialité vire à la haine..."
- , jeuxvideo.com
- "Frantic action puzzler Tricky Towers crashes onto PS4 soon"
- Niels Monshouwer, PlayStation Blog EU
- "Introducing Tricky Towers on PS4/"
- Niels Monshouwer, PlayStation Blog US
- "Tricky Towers Melds Tetris and Jenga Brilliantly"
- Jaz Rignall, US Gamer
- "I have to admit, you really won’t get why Tricky Towers is so insanely fun (especially four player) until you play it and start screaming"
- Shahid Kamal Ahad, @shahidkamal
- "Tricky Towers is a rare gem. It's one of those games you'll instantly 'get'."
- Matthijs Dierckx, ctrl500.com
Tricky Towers Tournament Press Release
Download the full Tricky Towers Tournament Press Release trickytowers.com.
Read more information on the history and development of Tricky Towers on weirdbeard.nl.
Hi, we're WeirdBeard Games – a six dev strong independent game studio based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Our games are a healthy mix of good, clean fun and our own quirky sense of humor. We like to make games that can be played by everyone, but still provide a bit of a challenge for those gamers who are more experienced. Right now we're putting the final touches on our first console / PC game - Tricky Towers! It's the spiritual successor to 99 Bricks: Wizard Academy which was released for iOS and Android in 2014. We enjoy playing games together here at the WeirdBeard office and so we're excited to bring a multiplayer game of our own to market.
More information on WeirdBeard, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Tricky Towers Credits
Game Director, Artist
Joran de Raaff
Jonathan van Woudenberg
Jonathan van den Wijngaarden